Friday, January 31, 2014

A Smile to Stop the Spiral

I am trying something new in my life.  It doesn't really matter what it is, but this morning I realized that I had messed it up.  I messed up unintentionally, but the consequences seemed sort of big and I was mad.  A little belligerent about the whole thing.  My husband wasn't home, so I text him to tell him how upset I was over an accident.  Thereby potentially passing my crap-tacular mood on to him.

This was his totally unexpected response to me: No beuno.  Keep being awesome though - mistakes will happen as you keep trying this.  Hearts!

This heartfelt response was totally unexpected.  Not because my husband is a pillar of unfeeling stone, but I had already grumbled at him before he left the house and I expected no response from him.  Instead, I got just what I needed - a smile.

He didn't try to fix it for me, offer an excuse, or encourage me to give up.  He simply acknowledged what I had said and gave his love.  He provided an amazing answer, in perfect form, the kind of answer I have spent the last couple of years trying to develop with all of my self-improvement books.

The smile propelled me back out of bed.  What a wonderful day created by a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment