Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Another wave of fear...

"I am currently seeking government contracts."

This search was mostly in theory, making me feel good, like I was actually doing something worthwhile.....  Truth is, I haven't been doing much.  That is until now.  Now, I am in earnest drafting bids for government contracting and I am nearly immobilized by fear.

"Fear of what?"  I hear you ask.....

"I haven't a clue" is the simple answer.  "I am afraid of looking silly and failing" is the more complete and honest answer.

In reality I know that no one outside of me cares if I look silly.  Some nameless person will look at it, decide if it's what they want, and that is that.  It is done.  Supposedly, I will even get a call and they will tell me why I did not get the contract and how to make my next contract bid better.

In an effort to get over this fear I am going to do something I have heard a lot of guru's talk about:

Imagine the worst.



  • The worst possible thing that could happen is that I could be black listed from all government contracts.
    • This isn't actually that bad.  I have never had one, therefore, losing that as an opportunity is not going to negatively effect me currently.  It is a lose of potential income, not real income.
  • I could lose the subcontractor position I currently have with a company I think is doing the government contracting in my area.
    • I have no way of knowing this.  I know the company I am currently subcontracting through used to win these bids, but I am unable to find proof that the company is currently winning them.  
    • If I were to lose my subcontracting position, well that would really suck.  Plain and simple.  However, I know of several companies looking for more subcontractors.  It's actually very odd that I only work for one company.  Most other people in my field subcontract with 3 or more companies.  
    • This would force me to subcontract with other companies, expanding my horizons, and force me to work a little more diligently in getting my own contracts.
  • I could not get the contract and everyone would find out what a loser I am.
    • Most people don't care.  I have already crossed this bridge with bad internship experiences.  I still came out of it alive and learned way more than I ever imagined.  Plus, I still have friends, in and out of the field.
  • I could win the contract and be unable to fill it.
    • That's highly unlikely.  The contract is for a large facility with what seems like one consumer who would utilize my services.  Plus, they are looking to subcontract several companies to avoid this very problem. If I couldn't find someone to fill in, I could do it.  I could do this even if it meant calling into my current subcontracting company.  The company has a large pool and I could be easily replaced.  The likelihood of not being able to fill a job is minuscule.
  • I am in direct competition with other companies and that makes me nervous.
    • The reason it makes me nervous is because of the atmosphere other companies have created.  The companies hide behind their confidentiality agreements and have created a fierce atmosphere of competition that is wholly unnecessary.  There is more than enough work to go around, period.  That's something that I hate about my field.  It should be a collaboration and one of my goals is to improve my field by creating a collaborative base for all of us to pull from.  By being nervous I am perpetuating the thing and stereotype found in my field that I can not stand.  Being nervous makes me part of the problem, not the solution. Now that is silly!
  • I am a huge success.
    • Everyone profits from this.  I get to spread higher standards, employ my friends, make some money for myself, and create an environment I am proud of! 
That's everything I can think of and really, it isn't as bad as I thought (obviously).

I guess that means I can move ahead, without much fear.  Then, if it hits me again I can re-read this post.

I really need to do this more often.  Writing it all out really helped clear my head.  I think this should be a new habit for me.

Have you tried this technique yet?!


No comments:

Post a Comment