Thursday, April 25, 2013

Self Care

I feel silly, but I am debating on whether or not to take a summer college course for fun.  Not a serious, Philosophy and the Northern Gnat Fly or anything.  Maybe a ceramics or art class.  A photography course would be neat - I love to scrapbook, but I never have enough photos!

Here's the dilemma  if I take a course, even if it's not for credit I would be giving up the opportunity to pick up freelance jobs. Plus, I know I will be out and about for most of July, so it seems irresponsible to be gone for so much of the course.

However, other than the copious amounts of tv I watch, I rarely do something long term for myself.  Plus, I've never taken a class for non-credit.  The money (less than $100) is a non-issue because I feel like the enjoyment I get from it would make up for it, but the opportunity cost for other work is high.  The classes are in the middle of the day.

I should go and talk to the professor and my husband, get their input.

I think I might see if I can take it as an observation, then I can play without being a hindrance to the teacher..... I guess I want to do this more than I realized.

Self care is one of those things that everyone harps on in my field, but no one ever does.  It's one of the reasons I try and read for pleasure, just to distance myself from my work.  I wonder what others do to take care of themselves....


No comments:

Post a Comment